When users land on your website, you only have one opportunity to engage with them and make a good impression. If you can improve your website design, then you can improve overall user engagement. And who wouldn’t want that, right?
According to Neilson, users will likely only read 20% of the words on a web page. If your website is cluttered, lacking a clear message, or is void of an engaging call-to-action, the users aren’t likely to stick around.
Want to make some quick changes to your website? We’ve got you covered! We’ve pulled together seven ways you can quickly improve your website design and increase both conversations and user engagement.
Improve Your Website Design
Ready to make an impact on user engagement without going through a complete website redesign? Incorporate these seven elements into your current website:
- Create Navigation for Humans — While we are always looking for ways to sway SEO numbers in our favor, your website navigation shouldn’t be part of that strategy. Use common language that is easy to understand. Creating site navigation that is easy to use and allows users to find what they are looking for quickly will improve user engagement.
- Remove the Clutter — Sure, you have lots to say to your users, but don’t overload them the instant they land on a page. Remove extraneous content, focus your messaging, and use images and calls-to-action to help guide users through the various user paths on your website. Pages that are void of white space and full of nothing but content will most likely turn away users.
- Create Scannable Content — Users want answers quickly, so use bullet points and headings to create content that is easy for them to scan quickly.
- Pass the 10-Foot Test — Pull up your home page and take ten steps back. Can you tell what your company does from 10-feet away? If not, then it’s time to tighten up the messaging and imagery on your homepage. If you can’t tell what’s going on, users won’t be able to either.
- Improve Page Speed — According to general online stats, users will leave a page if it takes more than three seconds for it to load. Yikes, that’s not long! Give your website every advantage by optimizing all pages on your website for both desk and mobile use. Remove large images and optimize videos and forms to help reduce load times. Not sure which pages need help? You can use Google’s website assessment tools to help you measure each page.
- Provide Visual Consistency — Visual consistency is a key component to great user experience! Use the same fonts, button colors and sizes, and spacing on all pages. This will create a more cohesive look and a stress-free user experience.
- Promote Your Testimonials — Let’s face it, most users won’t take the time to go to your beautifully designed testimonials page. Don’t let those great accolades go to waste! Instead, sprinkle them throughout your website on pages users are most likely to visit.
Want to discover more ways to improve your website and overall user engagement? Contact SBOS Web Solutions and let us help you create a strategy that will get your website noticed and have users beating a path to your website daily!